Savory Pumpkin Tart with Wisconsin Aged Cheddar
- Yield 6 servings
This pumpkin tart starring cheese, bacon and green chiles is hearty enough to serve as the main course.
- 1 (9- or 10-inch) refrigerated piecrust
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/3 cups canned pure pumpkin
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chiles
- 6 slices bacon, fried crisp, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (6-ounces) Wisconsin Aged Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 450F. Fit piecrust into pan; flute edges. Prick all over with fork. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Make filling: Saute onions in butter in small skillet about 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Combine pumpkin, half and half, eggs, chiles, bacon, seasonings and sautéed onion in large bowl, mixing well. Stir in Cheddar. Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board