Savory Gluten-Free Olive Oil Crust
- Yield servings
It’s the olive oil that makes this crust so pliable and makes it brown so beautifully.
Olive oil is a rich and flavorful oil, though, so although this crust won’t marry well with just any combination of ingredients, it will make a crispy and flaky spinach pie. In fact, it makes a wonderful crust for nearly any quiche. And since it does not need any yeast, it’s ready in a jiffy.
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white win vinegar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cold water
- In a large bowl, add the flour, xanthan gum, and salt and whisk to combine. Pour in the olive oil and white vinegar, and stir with a fork to combine. Add ½ cup of cold water and stir until the flour absorbs the water, then mix or knead until the dough comes together. If the dough is crumbly, add more water by the tablespoon, mixing after each addition, until the dough is smooth.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes. After the dough has chilled, place it between two pieces of plastic wrap and roll until it is about ⅛ inch thick. Once you have rolled the dough, remove one piece of plastic wrap and dust the dough lightly with extra flour, and replace the plastic wrap. Repeat with the other side of the dough. It is now ready to be used for a savory tart or pie.
From the book Gluten-Free on a Shoestring, by Nicole Hunn. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011.