Savory Mushroom and Barley Soup
- Yield 6 servings
A hearty tomato-based soup that will warm you from head to toe.
This flavorful soup reminds me of a mushroom-Swiss hamburger. I like to have it on hand for Thanksgiving weekend meals when we have company. It's easy to make ahead of time and reheat when guests arrive.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 pounds sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until tender, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Add barley, carrots, and tomato paste. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt and parsley and let stand 30 minutes to thicken slightly and allow flavors to blend. Rewarm before serving.
– Laura Frerich, Napoleon, Ohio