Savory Ginger Spiced Walnuts
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 15 mins
These candied walnuts have the hint of spicy Thai flavors and make a great party or anytime snack, or use them as a topping for salads or an addition to stir-fried vegetables.
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons Red Thai Garlic Chile Pepper Sauce or Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (about 1-inch square, peeled)
- 1 cup California walnut halves
- Preheat an oven to 375F.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, Thai chili pepper sauce, vinegar, lime juice, and the ginger.
- Put the walnuts halves in the bowl and turn them well to coat them. Let stand 30 to 40 minutes, turning from time to time.
- Remove nuts with a slotted spoon and place them on aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned—approximately 8 minutes on one side. Stir once or twice and bake another 5 minutes. Watch the nuts carefully to avoid burning.
- Remove from oven and immediately transfer to a plate. Let stand at room temperature until cooled. They will become crunchy.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 1 month. If frozen, let stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe Courtesy of Georgeanne Brennan