Mark Boughton/styling: Teresa Blackburn
- 1 (1-pound) loaf day-old French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2pounds fresh tomatoes, cut into quarters and seeded
- 1/2cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup sliced onions, caramelized (about 3 1/2 pounds fresh)
- 1cup arugula leaves
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1/2cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place bread cubes in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a food processor, pulse tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt and pepper until tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Add to bread bread cubes. Fold in caramelized onions and arugula.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. Pour over bread mixture and allow to stand at least 20 minutes.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of the Nashville Food Project
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 229
- Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 59mg
- Sodium 409mg
- Carbohydrate 39g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 11g