Savory Basil Slice-and-Bakes
- Yield 6
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 18 mins
Party bites that are ready to bake when you're ready to entertain.
If you like pesto, you'll love these savory wafers that contain the same ingredients. Perfect for parties.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 package (8-ounce) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, chopped almonds or whole pine nuts
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Sift together flour, peppers and salt. Stir in cheese.
- Combine butter and cream cheese; using a mixer, beat until well combined. Add pesto and mix well.
- Add flour mixture, basil leaves and nuts. Mix well.
- Divide dough in half and roll into logs 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll each log in kosher salt, if using. Wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm. If baking later, freeze shaped dough and defrost slightly before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice dough 1/4-inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week, or freeze up to a month.
Recipe by Charmian Christie.