Savory Asian Noodle and Walnut Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- 1/2cup chopped California walnuts
- 6ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- 1/2cup prepared fat-free Asian style salad dressing , plus 3 tablespoons
- 1pound medium shrimp, peeled & deveined (about 16 shrimp)
- 1/2teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 3/4cup green onions, thinly sliced, (about 8-10)
- 1large English cucumber, peeled, seeded & thinly sliced
- 3/4cup bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, peeled & cut into julienne strips, or grated
- 1/3cup chopped cilantro
- 2teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1head butter lettuce
- 4cups mixed Asian greens, i.e: mizuna, tat soi, red mustard, napa cabbage
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange walnuts in a single layer on a sheet pan & toast until lightly browned, about 5 -7 minutes. Cool.
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add vermicelli rice noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain well, cool slightly, and toss with 1/2 cup dressing. Chill noodles.
- Season shrimp lightly with salt and pepper. Thread shrimp on short bamboo skewers, allowing 2 per skewer. Coat a large nonstick skillet with canola cooking spray and place over medium high heat. Sear shrimp in pan until pink, about 3 minutes per side. Brush shrimp with 2 tablespoons dressing. Set aside to cool.
- Toss chilled rice noodles with 1/2 of the walnuts, bell pepper, green onions, cucumber, bean sprouts, carrot, cilantro, and ginger.
- Wash butter lettuce & divide between 4 plates. Toss Asian greens with remaining tablespoon of dressing & arrange in butter lettuce cups. Place rice noodles next to greens. Arrange 2 skewers of shrimp on each salad. Sprinkle remaining walnuts overall. Garnish with cilantro leaves.