Sausages Cooked in Ale
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 260 mins
Get out the slow cooker for this hearty supper.
The sausages and vegetables create a delicious juice that is great served over potatoes.
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 sweet Italian sausages (about 1 1/2 pound)
- 3 cups vertically sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup ale
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until brown on all sides. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and blot with towels.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to skillet, and add onion, green pepper and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Remove from heat and stir in tomato paste, salt, pepper and ale. Spoon half the onion mixture into medium-size slow cooker. Top with sausages and bay leaves and layer remaining vegetables on top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until sausages are cooked through. Remove bay leaves.
—Recipe by Jean Kressy