Sausage, Vidalias and Tomatoes
- Yield 6 servings
Italian sausage marries well with tomatoes and sweet Vidalia onions.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian-style sausage
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups cooked rice, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the sausage and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the sausage to a cutting board and slice into 1-inch pieces. Return the sausage to the hot pan. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.