Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Yield 8 servings
Fresh refrigerated tortellini is usually found in the Italian food section of your local gorcer. Try some of the other varieties instead of cheese or mushroom.
- 12 ounces cooked smoked chicken sausage
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 3 cans (14 ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 1 cup water
- 2 packages (9 ounce) refrigerated cheese tortellini or mushroom tortellini
- 1 package (10 ounce) frozen baby lima beans
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Slice the sausage lengthwise into halves and cut each half crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat a Dutch oven lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat until hot.
- Combine the sausage, onion and garlic in the hot Dutch oven and cook until the sausage is brown and the onion is tender; drain.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and lima beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes longer or until the pasta and lima beans are tender.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with the basil. Top with the cheese and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair, Appetizers at Devon, A Collection of Recipes from the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair (Devon Horse Show and Country Fair, 2008)