Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Yield: 10 servings
"I always make a double batch when I prepare this recipe fo stuffed mushroons, and I've never had any left over. My grown sons are especially fond of them."
- 1 1/2pounds medium mushrooms (about 30)
- 1/2pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4cup chopped onion
- 1/2cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Remove the mushroom stems from the mushroom caps, and chop the stems very finely. Set aside. Place the mushroom caps in a shallow baking dish in a single layer.
- In a skillet, brown the sausage, and drain well on paper towels. Reserve a small amount of sausage grease in the pan. Crumble the sausage, and set aside.
- In the reserved grease, lightly brown the onion. Add the chopped mushroom stems, and cook until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, bread crumbs, and sausage.
- Spoon the filling into the mushroom caps. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot. Makes about 30.
Recipe by Janice L. Heiden, Mason, Ill.