Sausage-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Yield: 4 servings
"This recipe is derived from an old family recipe for Pheasant Kiev, adjusted for my wife and children who will not eat wild game. Placing the chicken rolls on a broiling pan allows the juices to drain off and keeps the breasts from getting soggy."
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon chili powder
- 1tablespoon horseradish mustard
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Break up sausage and mix with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder and horseradish mustard. Shape sausage mixture into 4 link shapes. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Brush one side of each breast with beaten egg. Place 1 sausage link on egg glaze. Roll up and secure with toothpick.
- Roll each breast in flour; dip in remaining beaten egg; roll in breadcrumbs. Place on broiler pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted into the center reaches 160F.
Recipe by Ken Karcher, Hillsboro, Ill.