Sausage-Penne Family Supper
- Yield: 6 servings
"This hearty, family-style meal is quick and tasty. I get a lot of requests for it, and I love it too, so I'm glad to oblige. The mix of veggies gives it nice contrasting colors and flavors. Even kids eat vegetables when they have cheese and pasta along for the ride!"
- 1pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 1cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2cups (8-ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 2cups beef broth
- 1cup evaporated milk
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 2teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4cup Parmesan cheese
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet and cook with onion, pepper and mushrooms until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are wilted.
- Stir in pasta and broth, bring to a boil and stir. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in milk, garlic and Italian seasoning and heat through; do not boil. Remove from heat and add Cheddar cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Recipe by Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho