- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1cup quick-cooking grits
- 4cups water
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1pound mild or hot bulk pork sausage, crumbled
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 1teaspoon hot sauce
- 3/4teaspoon pepper
- 2-- eggs
- 2cups (8-ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1-- (7-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1/2cup chopped red bell pepper
- Combine the grits and water in a 3-quart saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to mix well. Add the butter and reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until the grits are tender, stirring frequently. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain. Stir in the garlic, hot sauce and pepper. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the sausage mixture, cheese, green chiles and bell pepper and mix well. Stir in the grits.
- Spoon into a buttered 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of the Emerald Coast’s Beach Appetit (The Junior League of the Emerald Coast, Inc., 2004).