Sausage Bread with Ricotta Spread
- Store bought pizza dough
- 1-1.5 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil
- Red pepper flakes
- Ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Stretch out pizza dough into a rectangular shape on a greased baking sheet, then set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook sausage until cooked through and brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, and pepper and gently mix together. Top the dough with sausage mixture, spreading evenly over the surface, leaving a 1-inch edge all around. Roll the dough up like a jelly roll. The seam should be down when you are done so it makes a seal. Pinch the edges closed. Brush or rub a little olive oil all over the bread to prevent sticking and to help it brown.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until dough is cooked and lightly golden browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile: Scoop ricotta into individual bowls for each guest or one large bowl for serving. Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper over ricotta to taste and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Chop basil and sprinkle over ricotta. Serve bread with a small bowl of red pepper flakes for guests to sprinkle to their taste. Serve with the ricotta to spread on top.
Recipe Courtesy of The Wayland