Chicken Tempura Polynesia
- Yield servings
- Saucy Chicken Tempura with Island Rice and Caramelized Pineapple
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins cut into 1/3" strips
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (for dredging)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 -- 1/4 cups chilled seltzer water or club soda
- -- Deep fryer or deep skillet
- -- Peanut oil (for deep frying)
- 6 slices fresh pineapple rings cut into halves (peel and center core removed)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro (set aside)
- Island Rice and Beans
- 16 ounces can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 -- Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup quick cooking Royal Blend (texmati white, brown, wild & red) rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated black pepper
- Citrus Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- -- Juice from one lime
- -- Zest from one lime
- 2 tablespoons honey
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (about 1/8 teaspoon)
Preparation and cooking (50 – 60 minutes):
1. Prepare rice and begin cooking.
2. When rice is simmering, prepare chicken. Allow chicken to dry.
3. While chicken dries, prepare tempura batter and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. While tempura batter rests, prepare pineapple. Place pineapple in grill pan and sprinkle with sugar. Follow recipe directions.
5. Place ingredients for sauce in sauce pan and mix together. Cook as directed.
6. Heat oil for frying chicken.
7. Coat chicken strips with batter and fry as directed.
8. Keep chicken strips warm.
Assembling (5 minutes):
1. Place rice in a colorful serving dish.
2. Arrange chicken strips over the rice.
3. Arrange pineapple around rice.
4. Drizzle with citrus sauce.
5. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
This recipe makes four to six generous servings.
Note: Have a medium ripe banana on hand, and if there is any left over tempura batter, slice the banana, dip in batter and deep fry. Immediately upon removing from the fry pan, lightly sprinkle with sugar. Serve as a delicious side dish.