Saturday Bean Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
I cook this soup in a Crock-Pot so it is ready by lunchtime and stays hot through the day. Folks can help themselves as they come into the kitchen from various activities. It makes a nice hot pick-me-up or a sit-down meal. Serve with corn meal muffins and fresh fruit.
- 1pound dry navy beans, sorted and soaked
- 2quarts water
- 1pound meaty ham bones or chunks
- 1stalk celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 1large carrot, finely chopped
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Drain the soaked beans, rinse, and put in a slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on high.
- Lower the temperature, remove the bay leaf, and the soup is ready for the day.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: To sort and soak beans, rinse and remove all imperfect beans. Place beans in a large pot and cover with water about an inch. Cover pan and soak overnight
Recipe by Rosalind Hess, Story City, Iowa