Santa Fe Corn Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3 1/2cups frozen corn kernels
- 1cup chicken broth
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 2cups milk, or 1 cup evaporated milk plus 1 cup water
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1teaspoon oregano
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3tablespoons canned green chiles, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1cup chopped tomatoes
- Combine the corn and chicken broth in a blender or food processor and process until pureed. Combine the corn mixture and butter in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Add the green chiles and chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cheese and baking soda and cook until the cheese is melted, stirring constantly. Ladle into soup bowls. Top with equal portions of the tomatoes and garnish with a fried tortilla triangle and a sprig of fresh oregano.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Lubbock., A Pefect Setting, (The Junior Leage of Lubbock, 2005)