Santa Fe Cobb Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Sweet bell peppers, black beans, ripe tomatoes, a little avocado and crunchy jicama are arranged in rows on top of greens.
If you like, you can add 8 ounces cooked chicken, shrimp or diced firm tofu.
- Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette:
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- Juice of 1 lime
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, optional
- Cobb Salad:
- 6 cups bite-size pieces mixed greens or field greens
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- 1 cup peeled and diced jicama
- 1 cup seeded and diced green bell peppers
- 2 ears sweet corn, kernels cut from cob
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup baked tortilla chips, lightly crumbled
- To make vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a blender or a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process or blend to combine.
- To make salad: Place mixed greens on a large platter. Arrange diced vegetables, beans and grated cheese in parallel rows across the top of the salad greens. Scatter tortilla chips over the vegetables. At the table, pour dressing over top, toss and serve.