Sandy Point Sand Tarts
- Yield 2 to 3 dozen
These cookies look festive stored in glass jars for the holidays and have a long shelf life.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- -- Confectioners' sugar for coating
- Cream the butter in a mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the flour and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the pecans.
- Shape into balls and press down on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 225F for 15 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 275F and bake for 5 minutes longer or until light brown around the edges. Do not over-bake.
- Place additional confectioners' sugar in a shallow bowl. Carefully lift the warm cookies with a spatula and place in confectioners' sugar until coated. Place on a serving plate and let stand until cooled completely.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Annapolis’s A Thyme to Entertain (The Junior League of Annapolis, Inc., 2007).