Salsa Verde with Avocado and Tomatillo
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
This Mexican-inspired salsa stars tart tomatillos instead of tomatoes.
Tomatillos are small, tart green tomatoes with a husk that must be removed. Hass avocados are small and have a wrinkled dark skin unlike florida avocados. They are creamier and have a higher fat content. Serrano chilies are spicy and fruity in flavor. You can also use jalapeno peppers.
- 4 tomatillos, husked, washed well and cut in half
- 1 serrano chili
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled and pitted
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 scallions, minced
- 5 sprigs cilantro, heavy stems removed, leaves minced
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven broiler. Place tomatillo halves, skin sides up, and serrano chili in a baking dish and broil 7 to 10 minutes until well browned. Remove and cool.
- Mash avocados in a large bowl with lime juice. Add garlic, scallions and cilantro. Remove any blackened skin from tomatillos, chop them and add to the avocado mixture. Seed roasted serrano chili, chop and add to salsa. Season with salt.