- Yield 8 servings
This great vegetarian variation of a traditional lasagna is made with jarred salsa.
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles with juice
- 1 (16-ounce) jar thick and chunky salsa
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 (8-ounce) package lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 (16-ounce) container fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 2-quart oblong baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the tomatoes, salsa, tomato sauce, oregano and pepper in a large bowl. Spread a heaping cup of the tomato mixture in the bottom of the pan. Top with four of the lasagna noodles.
- In a food processor, blend the cottage cheese and egg whites until smooth. Top noodles with half of the cottage cheese mixture, half the mozzarella, half the black beans and four more lasagna noodles. Continue layering and top with the remaining tomato mixture. Cover tightly with foil; place additional foil underneath the pan (it may bubble over). Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes or until the noodles are tender.