Salsa de Molcajete
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2cloves garlic
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1teaspoon cumin
- 1teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Juice of 1 Mexican lime or Key lime
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Broil on the top oven rack for 10 to 15 minutes or until blackened, turning occasionally.
- Drain in a colander.
- Cook the onion and garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat for 15 minutes or until blackened, stirring frequently.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion mixture, poblano chiles, cumin, salt and lime juice in a blender and process to the desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve warm or chilled with tortilla chips.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005)