Pan-Seared Salmon with Wilted Spinach
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 5 oz. salmon fillets, 1 1/4 lbs. total
- 2 6 oz. bags baby spinach leaves
- 2tablespoons no trans fat margarine
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1/4cup brown sugar
- 1/2cup lime juice
- 1/4cup reduced soy sauce
- 1teaspoon corn starch dissolved in 1 Tbsp. cold water
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon margarine over medium heat in sauté pan.
- Add crushed red pepper and garlic. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add sugar and whisk until melted and bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Add lime juice and soy sauce. Increase heat and boil until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Add cornstarch (dissolved in water); boil until thick, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a sauté pan until hot. When oil is ready, add salmon fillets and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to parchment-covered baking sheet. Spoon 1 Tbsp. sauce on each fillet. Roast in oven for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon margarine to another large sauté pan. Add spinach and toss until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place wilted spinach on platter and top with roasted salmon fillets.
Courtesy of Paulette Lambert, RD, of the California Health & Longevity Institute
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 325