- Yield 4 servings
These delicious and crispy salmon croquettes are perfect for lunch or dinner.
- 1 pound can red or pink salmon
- 2/3 cup salmon juice and milk
- 4 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or oleo
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 -- egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- 2/3 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 -- egg
- 1 tablespoon undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups fine, very dry bread crumbs
- Drain salmon, Remove skin and bones. Measure juice, add milk to make 2/3 cup. Saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour, blend well. Add milk, juice, and egg. Cook until thick. Mix with salmon, salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Chill. Divide and shape into 8 balls. Dip into egg beaten with milk and water. Cover well to seal. Roll in crumbs. Chill again. Fry in deep fat until brown. Serve with Mustard, Olive, or Hollandaise Sauce.
Note: Breading crumbs must be very fine and dry to give even, brown crust.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the South’s Legendary Frances Virginia Tea Room Cookbook (copyright 1981, Mildred Huff Coleman).