Salad in a Jar
- Yield 4 servings
A simple-to-make lunch salad you can easily take to work or on a picnic.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons bottled Italian vinaigrette dressing
- 1/2 cup grape tomato halves
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
- Combine barley, lemon rind and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 35 to 40 minutes. Add carrot and salt. Stir and let cool completely before layering in jars.
- To assemble, place 3 tablespoons salad dressing in bottom of 2 (1-pint) jars. Layer half the barley mixture, half the tomatoes, half the spinach, then half the mushrooms. Repeat layers.
Recipe from The American Diabetes Association Vegetarian Cookbook by Steven Petusevsky (2013, Shop Diabetes).