Chicken Fried Rice, Saigon Style
- Yield: servings
- Ingredients for Chicken Rice:
- 1whole Chicken cut into quarters or Eights
- 2cloves of Garlic crushed whole
- 4stalks of Scallion cut into 1" pieces
- 1large Onion cut into eights
- 1slice of Ginger, thick sliced, crushed
- 3cups Jasmine or Long Grain Rice
- 2tablespoons Corn or Canola Oil
- 6cups of Cold Water
- Ingredients for Sauce:
- 4cloves of Garlic finely minced
- 3tablespoons Sugar
- 2tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/4cup of hot water
- 1teaspoon Sambal Oelek Chili Sauce OR
- 1-- Jalapeno Pepper Finely Chopped
- 1/2cup of Soy Sauce (Not sushi kind)
- 1tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2sprigs of Cilantro
- 1-- Seedless Cucumber, Peeled, Sliced Diagonally
To Prepare the Chicken Rice:
Heat Dutch Oven or Wok on High heat, then add oil. Then add garlic, ginger, onions, and scallions. Stir fry it around until it's lightly golden. Add Chicken pieces and brown them on both sides. Remove chicken and put pieces aside. Add Rice and stir fry until grains are translucent. About 4 minutes.
Then place browned chicken pieces over the rice, add all the water, and bring to quick boil. Then bring to low simmer, cover pot/wok with lid. Cook for 20-30 minutes until rice is tender. Cook time depends on your burner.
Once rice is ready, remove the slice of ginger and discard.
To Prepare the Sauce While Rice is Cooking:
Combine sugar and hot water, mix well till sugar is dissolved. Add soy sauce, lime juice, chili sauce or jalapeno peppers and stir well. Add garlic. Finish off with Sesame Oil.
To Plate the Chicken Rice:
On a platter (or can be individual serving dishes), spoon the rice and chicken onto plate. Arranging a piece of chicken on top of a mound of rice. Place cucumber wedges at bottom of rice mound and sprig of cilantro across the piece of chicken. Serve sauce in small ramekins for each person.