Rutabaga and Carrot Mash
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3pounds rutabagas (about 2 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2teaspoon salt, divided
- 1cup sour cream
- 1/2cup buttermilk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Place rutabaga and carrots in large stockpot. Fill with cold water to 1-inch above vegetables. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Stir in sour cream and mash vegetables with a potato masher, leaving the texture a bit chunky. Pour in buttermilk and continue to mash until thoroughly mixed. Add remaining salt and pepper; serve immediately. Makes about 6 cups.
—Recipe by by Deanna Segrave-Daly