Rustic Potato Gratin
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 75 mins
- 1cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth, possibly a little more
- 2tablespoons chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth, possibly a little more
- 3/4teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3/4teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/8teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-- large yellow onion (about 9 ounces), very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (optional)
- 3tablespoons grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Generously butter 6, 1-cup oven-safe ramekins (or 4-inch foil pot-pie pans) and arrange on a sturdy baking sheet. In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, combine the chicken stock and garlic; set aside.
- Layer a third of the potato slices over the bottom of each of the ramekins or pans. Arrange half of the onions over the potatoes, season lightly with the salt and pepper, and pour half of the broth mixture over the onions. Repeat with another third of the potato slices, followed by the rest of the onions, and the rest of the broth. Season lightly with more salt and pepper. Top with the remaining potato slices and again season lightly with salt and pepper. Press the potatoes gently into the broth. Brush or dab the tops with the melted butter.
- Bake until very golden and bubbly, about 1 hour. If the gratins seem at all dry while baking, press the potatoes down into the broth, or spoon a little more broth over the tops. When tender and brown, sprinkle the cheese evenly over the tops of the gratins and return to the oven for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly, too.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Tina Salter.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 160
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 4.5g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Sodium 310mg
- Potassium 460mg
- Carbohydrate 27g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 4g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 2%
- Vitamin C 15%
- Calcium 6%
- Iron 2%