Russian Eggplant Caviar
- Yield 6 servings
There are many versions of eggplant caviar or "poor man's caviar." Baba ghannouj is the Middle Eastern version, which can be made by adding sesame tahini to this recipe.
- 2 large eggplants, left whole with peel intact
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 long hot pepper, minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sesame tahini (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place eggplants on a baking pan with sides and stick randomly with tines of a fork to allow steam to escape. Bake 40 minutes until eggplants are cooked through and very soft. Remove to a plate and let cool.
- Place garlic, onion, peppers, parsley, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a nonreactive large mixing bowl. Scoop cooled eggplant pulp from skin into bowl; discard skin. Mix with a fork or whisk until well combined. Add hot pepper and tahini, if desired.