Eggs on Creamy Grits
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 13 mins
Bacon- and cheese-laced grits are the perfect vehicle for poached or fried eggs.
You can fry or poach your eggs; either way, make sure they have runny yolks to trickle into the creamy grits.
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick grits
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for frying eggs
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions, white and green parts
- 4 slices crisply cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 -- eggs
- Combine water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, whisking often, until thick and creamy. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter, cheese, green onions, bacon and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer.
- Melt additional butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Fry eggs until whites are set and yolks are still runny. Or poach eggs in boiling water 3 minutes.
- Spoon grits into bowls. Top with eggs.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Rozanne Gold's Radically Simple: Brilliant Flavors with Breathtaking Ease (Rodale, 2010).