Runner Cannellini Bean Salad
- Yield: 6 servings
Get out your best olive oil and take this pretty vegetarian salad on a picnic, or pile on crostini toasts for appetizers.
- 2cups dried runner cannellini beans (6 cups cooked)
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/3cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Soak beans in cold water 4 hours until they swell and expand.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; sauté until tender. Stir in beans, and add enough water to cover by about 3 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender, adding water as necessary to keep beans covered. Drain and place in a bowl.
- Add red onion, bell pepper, garlic, oregano and tomato; stir. Add olive oil, vinegar and salt. Toss gently.
Recipe courtesy of Rancho Gordo.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 380
- Fat 14g
- Sodium 220mg
- Carbohydrate 46g
- Fiber 12g
- Protein 17g