- 1cup milk (the closer to whole milk, the better)
- 1tablespoon cocoa powder (preferably Dutched)
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1tablespoon dark (not spiced) rum
- 1tablespoon orange liqueur (e.g. Citronge, Cointreau)
- Marshmallows or whipped cream, for serving
- Whisk together milk, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a small pot over medium heat. Heat, whisking occasionally and making sure to scrape along the bottom of the pot, until the mixture is steaming.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the rum and orange liqueur.
- Pour into mugs and add marshmallows or whipped cream, as desired.
This recipe by Bowen Close of Bowen Appetit has been posted with permission and appeared as Rum-Orange Hot Chocolate on Honest Cooking.