Rozanne Gold’s Onion Soup
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 250 mins
Onions combine with madeira, thyme and a touch of honey for a one-of-a-kind winter warmer.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds (about 10) medium yellow onions, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Madeira
- 1/2 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Place butter in a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet; melt over medium heat. Add onions. Bake 4 hours, covered, turning onions after 2 hours.
- Pour 4 cups water into pan. Transfer to a food processor in two or three batches and process until very smooth. Pour through a large fine-mesh sieve. Mash with a wooden spoon to extract all the juices. Save onion pulp. Return soup to stove and add honey and Madeira.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish each serving with a tablespoon of onion pulp and sprinkle with thyme.
Recipe by Rozanne Gold.