Rosemary Potato and Chickpea Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
Roasting and pureeing adds rich flavors and satisfaction with less calories compared to traditional creamy soups.
- 2large russet potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1cup nonfat milk
- 1/4cup Greek style nonfat yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400F. In large bowl, toss potatoes, rosemary, garlic, oil and dash of salt and pepper. Spread evenly onto roasting pan or baking sheet with a lip. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir in chickpeas and roast an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a large pot, add potato mixture, broth and milk. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Ladle two-thirds of soup into blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Pour back into pot; cook another 5 minutes. Ladle into four bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt.