Rosemary Grilled Scallops and Shrimp
- Yield 30 appetizers servings
When cooking scallops, be careful not to overcook. Scallops should be cooked either for a few minutes or for a long period of time. Anything in between will create a tough and rubbery texture.
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- 30 large rosemary sprigs
- 6 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds medium to large uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the scallops in water to remove the grit and sand.
- Remove the leaves from the bottom 2 inches of the rosemary sprigs, reserving the leaves and sprigs.
- Cut the prosciutto into 1×3-inch strips. Wrap a prosciutto strip around each scallop and each shrimp.
- Skewer a reserved rosemary sprig through 1 scallop and 1 shrimp. Repeat with the remaining rosemary sprigs, scallops and shrimp.
- Arrange each skewer in a shallow glass dish and drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with the reserved rosemary leaves, salt and pepper and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill.
- Place the skewers on a grill rack brushed with oil. Grill for 2 minutes per side or until the shrimp turn pink and the scallops are tender.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Saturday Club, Main Line Entertains (The Saturday Club, 2005)