Sofrito and Beef—Ropa Vieja (Old Clothes)
- Yield: 8 servings
The leftovers freeze well, so cook up an entire batch and freeze for easy meals on a busy night.
- 1large onion, diced
- 2medium green bell peppers, diced
- 5 to 6cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2pounds flat cut beef brisket, quartered
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1cup white (or red) wine
- 2large bay leaves
- 2teaspoons sazon completa (or 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons oregano, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 teaspoon salt)
- 8cups cooked brown rice
- Saute onions, bell peppers and garlic in oil in heavy 6-quart (or larger) stock/sauce pot until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add meat, increase heat to medium high; brown each side about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add tomato sauce, wine, bay leaves and spices. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour. Remove from heat.
- Shred beef with two forks. Return meat to sauce. Simmer uncovered 20 to 30 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Serve over rice.
Recipe by Barbara J. Alvarez, MPH, RD, LDN, New Mexico. Reprinted with permission from the American Dietetic Association’s Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 480
- Fat 14g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 70mg
- Sodium 710mg
- Carbohydrate 55g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 30g