Rolled Oat Burgers
- Yield: 16 servings
- 2cups water
- 2cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2tablespoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons pure olive oil
- 1cup diced onions
- 1/2cup grated carrots
- 1/2cup diced celery
- 1/2cup diced red bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2teaspoons dried oregano
- 6leaves fresh basil, minced or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oats, tamari or soy sauce and 1 tablespoon oil. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and saute 2 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add to cooked oats and combine well. Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4-cup measure, portion the mixture. Form each portion into a ball and then flatten slightly. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake 20 minutes until golden brown.