Roesti Potato Pancakes
- Yield 3 servings
This popular dish from Switzerland features potatoes, onions and parsley—how easy is that?
These pancakes can be served alone or as a bed for sauteed vegetables, chopped tofu or tempeh. You can add grated zucchini, carrots, yellow squash or turnips to the potatoes as well. If you have leftover cooked potatoes, you can use them to make the pancakes.
- 1 pound raw Yukon gold potatoes, skin on, grated
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, grated
- 1/4 cup rough-chopped parsley
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil for spraying the pan
- Combine potatoes, onions, parsley, salt and pepper in a colander. Press out any excess moisture.
- Heat a 9-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray skillet with olive oil. Divide potato mixture into three portions and add one portion to the pan. Press the potatoes down into the pan until a 9-inch flat pancake forms. Reduce heat to medium and cook 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn pancake with a spatula. Cook the other side until golden brown. Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat until all potato mixture is cooked.