Roasted Vidalia Onion Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3large (about 3 pounds) Vidalia onions, peeled and cut in wedges (13 cups)
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (13 3/4-ounce) cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan in oven for 5 minutes.
- Place Vidalia onions in pan; sprinkle with oil, stirring to coat. Bake uncovered, until onions are very tender and golden, stirring twice, about 50 minutes. Stir in garlic; bake until garlic softens slightly, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, thyme, bay leaf and red pepper; stir to combine. Cover tightly with foil; bake 20 minutes to blend flavors. Remove foil and bay leaf; let cool slightly.
- Place half in the bowl of a food processor or in a blender jar; process until coarsely pureed; repeat with remaining mixture. Serve hot, garnished with chives.