Roasted Turkey with Cranberry Fruit Dressing
- Yield 15 servings
Traditional slow-roasted turkey paired with sweet cranberry fruit dressing.
- 1 -- (14- to 16-pound) whole turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 -- medium onions, chopped
- 16 ounces jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup whole cranberry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 cups turkey broth or reduced-sodium chicken bouillon
- -- Vegetable cooking spray
- -- Sliced pears or apples
- -- Red grapes
- -- Celery leaves
- To prepare turkey: Remove giblet (discard liver), neck and any visible fat from turkey; reserve for stock. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Season inside and outside of turkey with salt and pepper.
- Tie drumsticks together and twist wing tips behind the back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) in shallow pan. Cover loosely with foil.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325F oven about 2 1/2 hours, basting with pan juices.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and cook onions with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until very soft. (If onions begin to brown, lower heat.)
- Stir in cranberry sauce and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and pour glaze over bird.
- Continue to roast 1/2 to 1 hours or until the thermometer registers 180F in the thigh and 170F in the breast.
- Remove turkey from oven. Allow turkey to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- To prepare dressing: In medium-size bowl combine stuffing mix, dried fruit, celery, onion, cranberry sauce, sage, thyme and turkey broth.
- Coat a 2-quart oven-proof dish with non-stick vegetable cooking spray. Spoon dressing in dish and bake uncovered at 325F for 40 to 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Transfer turkey to platter and garnish with fruits and celery leaves.