Roasted Tomatoes, Beans and Onions
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This hearty healthy vegetable casserole needs no meat to make a satisfying meal.
If the small, squat onions known as cipolline are not available, you can substitute 4 quartered sweet red onions or 4 heads of garlic with the tops removed.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 pounds cipolline onions, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, trimmed and peeled
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and cut lengthwise into eighths
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the potatoes, onions, and fennel in a roasting pan. Add the olive oil andtoss well to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and roast another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and cipolline are fork-tender and golden brown. Add the beans, garnish with thyme, and serve at once.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Cucina Povera: Tuscan Peasant Cooking by Pamela Sheldon Johns (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2011).