Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Moroccan Spices
- Yield 5 servings
These low-calorie, low-fat sweet potatoes are easy to prepare. The seeds add crunch as well as spice.
- 1 1/2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375F.
- Toss sweet potatoes, dressing, maple syrup, lemon peel, and coriander, cumin, and mustard seeds together in a heavy non-stick rimmed baking sheet or shallow baking pan, then spread evenly in a shallow layer. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve hot.
Reprinted from Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Bryanna Clark Grogan, courtesy of The Cancer Project