Roasted Seitan with Caramelized Harvest Vegetables
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2cups diagonally sliced carrots or 6 ounces whole baby carrots
- 1 1/2cups diagonally sliced celery
- 6whole pearl onion, peeled
- 1 1/2cups diagonally sliced parsnips
- 1teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/2pounds seitan chunks
- 6whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2cup dry red wine
- 1cup vegetable broth
- 2tablespoons low-sodium tamari
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot fitted with a steaming rack, bring 1/2-inch water to a boil over high heat. Put carrots, celery, onions and parsnips in the rack, cover pot and steam vegetables 4 to 6 minutes; drain and set vegetables aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375F.
- Brush a heavy-bottomed nonstick skillet (preferably an ovenproof one) with 1/2 teaspoon canola oil and heat over medium high. Add seitan and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove browned seitan from pan and set aside.
- Brush skillet lightly with 1/2 teaspoon oil and let heat. Add steamed vegetables and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste; continue cooking 5 minutes. Stir in wine, broth, tamari and spices. Bring to a simmer; add browned seitan.
- Transfer mixture to a roasting pan (or leave in skillet if it is ovenproof). Cover and place in oven about 20 minutes. Uncover and roast an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender. Slice seitan 1/2-inch thick as you would a brisket or pot roast and serve over vegetables.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 105
- Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 552mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Protein 12g