Roasted Root Vegetable Tzimmes
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
Carrots, parsnips, turnips, and butternut squash are roasted with dried fruits, spices and honey.
- 16 ounces baby carrots, cut lengthwise, in half
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium purple top turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 -- butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 6 to 8 -- dried apricots, diced
- 3 to 4 pieces crystallized ginger, finely diced
- 1 1/2 to 2 -- teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground whole nutmeg (if available, if not use already ground)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional as garnish)
- -- Juice of 1 orange (or 1/2 cup store-bought)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste after roasting)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prep all ingredients as specified in ingredient list.
- Combine everything in one large roasting pan, including fruit, seasoning, spices and liquid. Cover tightly with snugly fitting lid or aluminum foil. This will allow the vegetables to steam and par-cook and retain moisture.
- Roast for 25 minutes covered. Remove cover, gently toss vegetables to recoat in liquid. Roast for another 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are nicely glazed and browned. Garnish with zest of one orange (optional).
Recipe by Rachel Willen, FoodFix