Roasted Root Vegetable Tzimmes
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 16ounces baby carrots, cut lengthwise, in half
- 3medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2medium purple top turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-- butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2cup raisins
- 1/2cup dried cranberries
- 6 to 8-- dried apricots, diced
- 3 to 4pieces crystallized ginger, finely diced
- 1 1/2 to 2-- teaspoons cinnamon
- 1tablespoon cumin
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground whole nutmeg (if available, if not use already ground)
- 1teaspoon orange zest (optional as garnish)
- -- Juice of 1 orange (or 1/2 cup store-bought)
- 1/2cup honey
- 1/3cup chicken stock
- 1teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste after roasting)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prep all ingredients as specified in ingredient list.
- Combine everything in one large roasting pan, including fruit, seasoning, spices and liquid. Cover tightly with snugly fitting lid or aluminum foil. This will allow the vegetables to steam and par-cook and retain moisture.
- Roast for 25 minutes covered. Remove cover, gently toss vegetables to recoat in liquid. Roast for another 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are nicely glazed and browned. Garnish with zest of one orange (optional).
Recipe by Rachel Willen, FoodFix