Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Yield 8 servings
Spread this reduced-fat hummus on whole-wheat pita bread or serve as a dip for vegetables.
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed, liquid reserved, or 1 1/2 cups of cooked garbanzo beans, drained with at least 1/4 cup cooking liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 -- green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced or pressed garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, packed in water
- Place all ingredients, except reserved bean liquid, in food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add reserved bean liquid as needed for a smoother consistency.
- Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. Leftover Roasted Red Pepper Hummus will keep for up to three days. Keep whole wheat pita or veggies on hand for a quick meal or snack. Makes about 2 cups.