Roasted Potato Garlic Soup with Parsley Oil
- 4 pounds Russet potatoes
- 10 thin slices pancetta or 1/2 cup bacon, finely minced
- 1/2 pound shallots, diced
- 8 medium garlic cloves, peeled and kept whole
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Parsley Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Scrub potatoes clean and peel; cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Combine potatoes, shallots and garlic together on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Stir, then roast for another 20 – 25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Preheat a heavy dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta, and cook over medium heat until golden brown but not over crisp, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta and set on a paper towel to remove oil. Reserve about 1 1/2 cups of the roasted potatoes, and set aside.
- Add remaining potatoes to the dutch oven, stir to combine with the pancetta drippings. Add 5 cups of chicken stock, bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, and cook 30 minutes.
- While the soup is stewing, make parsley oil by processing parsley and olive oil together in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Remove potato soup from stove and let cool for 15 minutes. Once cooled, puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender. Return the mixture to the dutch oven. Thin using the remaining 1 cup of chicken stock to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper and stir in reserved potatoes and pancetta. Gently reheat over low heat until warm and serve with a drizzle of parsley oil.
For more from Denise Woodward, visit her prolific and delicious blog Chez Us.