- Roasted Red Pepper Pecan Pesto:
- 1 red pepper, halved
- 1/2cup breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2cup pecan halves
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1pound linguine
- 1/2cup parmesan cheese, grated for garnish
- 1/2cup fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- 1/2cup fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- To make the Roasted Red Pepper Pecan Pesto: Turn on the broiler of oven. Place the pepper halves cut side down on a baking sheet and broil 2-4 inches from the flame for about 12-15 minutes, or until the skins have blackened.
- Place the blackened pepper in a bowl covered in plastic wrap or in a sealed zip lock bag. Let the pepper steam for 10-15 minutes. Remove the pepper from the bowl. Scoop out the seeds and slip the skins off, but do not rinse under water. Cut the peeled pepper into large pieces and place in a food processor.
- Add the breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper flakes, pecans and salt to the food processor. Begin to pulse and blend the pesto ingredients together. Slowly add the olive oil to the food processor while blending, so the pesto becomes a smooth paste.
- To complete the Roasted Pepper Pecan Pesto Pasta: Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat and cook the linguine according to package directions. Reserve a cup of pasta water when you drain the linguine.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Spoon the pesto into the pan and toss with the drained pasta to heat through, adding as much of the reserved pasta water as needed to make a sauce to your preferred consistency.
- Serve the pasta in equal portions on plates. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil and parsley.
Recipe by Patrice of Circle B. Kitchen, courtesy of Meatless Monday
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 473
- Fat 19g
- Saturated Fat 3.4g
- Cholesterol 7mg
- Sodium 349mg
- Potassium 270mg
- Carbohydrate 62g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 15g