Roasted Lemongrass Chicken
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 90 mins
This Asian-inspired roasted chicken stars the flavors of ginger, lemongrass and soy sauce.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- 2 stalks lemongrass, peeled and sliced
- 1 -- shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece ginger (2-inch), peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- In food processor, combine lemongrass, shallot, garlic, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt, ginger, vegetable oil, Thai fish sauce and soy sauce. Process well, about 2 minutes. Place chicken in zipper-top plastic bag and pour marinade over, making sure it is well-coated. Refrigerate chicken for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade. Place chicken in roasting pan and place in oven. Roast for about 1 hour 30 minutes, basting two or three times with reserved marinade, until chicken is golden brown. Chicken is done when thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh registers 180 F. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Recipes: A Collection for the Modern Cook; Susan Spungen, Harper Collins, 2005.