Roasted Green Bell Peppers
- Yield: 4 servings
"My Italian mother made Roasted Green Peppers for special occasions as a side dish - or a salad - especially in the summer when peppers were cheap. I make them whenever I get the yearning for peppers. It's easy and delicious."
- 4large green bell peppers, rinsed and patted dry
- 4medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place a sheet of foil on a baking sheet and arrange the whole peppers on it. Place on the center oven rack. Roast the peppers for 30 to 40 minutes, until the skins begin to split and the peppers are richly browned, turning every 10 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, place in a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 20 minutes to cool slightly and absorb smoky flavors.
- Remove the skins and seeds. Rinse fingertips frequently to allow for a better grip. Pull peppers apart into thin strips and place in a medium bowl. Add the garlic, olive oil, and salt; mix gently.
—Carmela Porter, Holland, Mich.